Plus Heal|Site Info
Page
of 2

Dealing with a new raid team

10 replies
133 posts
Untagged users
Anyone have a way I can deal with too many people showing up? Since this raid group is for all the new people I'm having a hard time getting people to show up or even sign up. I was thinking of of a system like this.

!5mins before raid

Raid time
non sign ups get invited

then just put in a clause that I have the right to pick people for the best raid group ie not taking 5 rogues,

I'll have to add something about people not sitting two weeks in a row or something. Yes I am a masochist but if I didn't start a raid team most of the members would never see raids since most of the teams have a lock rosters
Healing with a Positive Carbon Footprint since 2004
WoW = Taiboku - Nall - Reicher - Pottle- Poxs
Posted Jun 26, 11 · OP
260 posts
Untagged users
Well, we don't do a sign-up system. We do a post-out system. You are expected to be at the designated raid time, every time. If you aren't going to be there, you leave a post in a section of our forums stating the date you won't be there, perhaps a reason why (or if you're gonna be late, same thing).

The problem I've noticed with sign-up systems are people will see "Oh, 7 healers have signed up. No way they'll use more than that, I won't even bother" and other things of that nature.

But, that works for us, it may not work for you.
Posted Jun 26, 11
262 posts
Admins
Moderators
Concurring with a signout system inlieu of a signup system.
Posted Jun 29, 11
277 posts
Untagged users
+1 on post/notify/sign OUT. We set the expectation that everyone is expected to be on for raid unless they specifically notify leadership. We are flexible and allow them to notify us via the forums, in-game mail, twitter, email, or even a text message.
Officerchat.org - guild advice for guild leaders
Posted Jun 30, 11
320 posts
Untagged users
Yeah we do the same. We have a post out thread, nothing fancy. If you are going to be out, you post in the thread. It is just expected that you'll be on for the raid. Simple.
miniderevkajtv.png
8/8 Heroic 25-Man Dragon Soul
Posted Jun 30, 11
199 posts
Untagged users
I'll take your overflow!

So if I understand your problem you put out a sign up for raid. No one or few sign up?

Well I would say Sign ups get priority but since it sounds like a noob raid a good rule to institute if you have a lot of the same roles being signed up for is to have mandatory dual spec. Though I loathed trying to learn fury or arms on my prot warrior I did it and its not that bad. It came up after we wen't to magmaw and the raid leader said "Alright switch to your dps spec" and I had to substitute out to my shaman. :oops:
Posted Jul 1, 11
4 posts
Untagged users
lument wrote:
+1 on post/notify/sign OUT. We set the expectation that everyone is expected to be on for raid unless they specifically notify leadership. We are flexible and allow them to notify us via the forums, in-game mail, twitter, email, or even a text message.

Ditto!
Posted Jul 3, 11
3 posts
Untagged users
It depends a lot on the guild and what kind of attendance requirements you have if you should have a sign up or sign out system. Some expect you to be there all the time, then it's natural to have a sign out system. With a lower requirement a sign up system can make sense.

I'm not sure what the problem here is though, you ask for advice about how to deal with too many showing up, but also say that it's difficult to get people to show up.

I come from a raiding background where you could never expect a 100% attendance and then it's good to know what to expect from the raid when being the one leading it so it's easier to plan and maybe get replacements from somewhere else if needed.

If people aren't even showing up, introducing a sign up system might not help with that particular problem, but it could help you as a raidleader to know what to expect. Dealing with the problem will probably require other actions from you though. Maybe it's the days that don't suit people, or that it's too many raiddays compared to what they are willing to raid. Maybe you just need to recruit more. It's difficult to say anything about that without more information.

If the problem is that too many show up and you need a way to determine who to take to the raid, giving priority to those who sign up is one way, but if you do it that way, the result might in a few weeks be that you have more than enough signed and then you need to figure out a new way to decide who gets to raid. At least then you have a chance to plan. Sounds like you want to use some sort of rotation system to make it somewhat fair.

Something to consider is what "people for the best raid group" is. Is it just about class/roll balance or is it taking better players over others?
Vandreigan wrote:
Oh, 7 healers have signed up. No way they'll use more than that, I won't even bother
Sounds like they don't really want to raid, so why not let them not even bother? That people react like this is not something I have noticed either. We answer if we can come or not and then wait for the raidleader to decide who gets to come. We often have too many healers signed. And some days we have too few, hence the overrecruitment.

Personally I prefer systems where you, when too many are signed/will show up, let those who will get turned down know in advance, so they can make other plans and don't waste their time on waiting for a raidinvite in vain. It's possible in both systems whether you sign in or sign out, but I get them impression it's not that common in the sign out systems.
Posted Jul 4, 11
98 posts
Untagged users
We reward people with standby epgp points who were signed up and ready but didnt make it in.
Its also valuable to try to "rotate" people in - so even if they dont get to raid the whole night they did get some "track time" and some experience. That way they feel "involved" and stay engaged.
Morality is not obedience. Morality derives from empathy and a sense of communal obligation with our fellow human beings.
- PZ Myers
Posted Jul 4, 11
133 posts
Untagged users
My issue is take tuesday I had 4 hunters sign up for the 10 man I need a system that would be fair for the dps.

One thing I am proud of is first pull is at 7pm not invites that's been helping I have not had all the dps show up on time so I was ok tuesday. The one team my druid was on we started 45mins late saturday and they lost so much time.

Just kinda want insight on a system that will work on a raid team that does not have a lock roster yet. I've had guilds that had sign out which work but my pool of raiders isn't near having a lock roster.
Healing with a Positive Carbon Footprint since 2004
WoW = Taiboku - Nall - Reicher - Pottle- Poxs
Posted Jul 7, 11 · OP · Last edited Jul 7, 11
Page
of 2
Announcement of