Plus Heal|Site Info

25M Grand Empress Shek'zeer

4 replies
4 posts
Untagged users
Hey, guys! Looking for some advice on how you're handling discharges and moving into phase 3.

We're short on healers at the moment, so we're running with 4 to 5 of our full-time healers, 1 who just switched to healing from dps, and a couple of offspec healers when needed (myself included). Last night we ran with 2 druids, 2 monks, 2 priests, and 1 paladin.

We only made it to P3 twice (I'd say only 1 time viably), but I can already see we're going to run into serious trouble. We had to use both tranqs, a perfectly timed revival, and a rallying cry to make it through P1. Both times we made it to P3, it was pushing the transition straight from the second P1 into P3. This left us recovering from the last discharge and most of our CDs blown.

What are we doing wrong, or what can we improve?

Thanks!
Posted Jan 24, 13 · OP
428 posts
Untagged users
Do you have links to some logs, or at least to some of the toons involved? It's hard to offer advice without more info.

I'd say you have many more CDs. In particular, I hope at least one of your priests in disc, in which case they can largely mitigate almost every second discharge with their spirit shell. Your paladin can time his devotion aura for a fair bit of reduction on another discharge. Your other priest would have either more spirit shells or divine hymn. Any other pally in the group would have devotion auras to use as well.

I'm assuming you're managing to space out the discharges?

Hopefully someone with more experience with the fight can offer more assistance.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Jan 24, 13
4 posts
Untagged users
Yeah, we're spacing out discharges pretty well, thank goodness.

Devotion aura doesn't help with sonic discharge because it only reduces magic damage, and discharge is physical (GG Blizz! lol), so he's saving Devo for P3 when she's doing crazy amounts of shadow damage.

I'm not sure how Spirit Shell works--is that something they could cast on the entire raid? I know both of our main healer priests are disc, I'll have to check with the OS one and get him to Hymn if he's holy.

We're literally hitting Phase 3 almost the minute the last discharge hits, so I'm wondering if popping heroism on the last discharge and letting it overlap into P3 might be an option to help us keep things under control. My fellow druid and I might be able to save Incarnation for P3, too.
Posted Jan 24, 13 · OP
428 posts
Untagged users
Spirit Shell gives them 15 seconds during which any PoH casts (other heals too but that's the relevant one) are converted into an absorb shield, which lasts 15 seconds, and can stack up to 60% of the priest's health. At my ilvl 487 gear, this puts a 55k shield on each person it hits, 68k if I combine it with Archangel. Even with no haste a priest is able to cast 6 PoHs during those 15 seconds, allowing one of these casts on each group plus a second cast on the first group, resulting in 110-140k shields on that group. This almost completely mitigates the damage on one group, and halves it on other groups.

They can use this every 60 seconds. On such a fight with so predictable damage, spirit shell could account for 40% of their healing. If they're not using it then slap them around and send them to read some guides cause it's one of the main tools Disc priests have. Bonus points if they combine it with Archangel, and use their Penance offensively to build Evangelism stacks for it.

They might also use their power word barrier, though that would require some stacking of your group before the explosions.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Jan 24, 13
4 posts
Untagged users
Ahhhh, excellent.

You've given me a great idea we should have been doing all along. Next attempt we'll put a healer in charge of each group for healing up after discharge. Maximize the priests spirit shells and keep everyone else focused so no one gets overlooked.
Posted Jan 24, 13 · OP
Notices