Plus Heal|Site Info

Mana after 5.1 - Disc

6 replies
55 posts
Untagged users
Full disclosure - I've done zero research on this so far. I'm just looking for impressions first to see how much research is warranted. I fully accept that I could be imagining things. :sick:

I play disc. I got several upgrades from HoF and ToS (LFR versions) right before the patch. I feel like I'm running out of mana significantly faster than before, even though my playstyle has not change. My spirit definitely went up with the gear changes - about 7k to 8k with flask. I still need to check and see if my haste did as well. Has anyone else encountered this?
137544_2196ef67f1889b44.png
Posted Dec 3, 12 · OP
3 posts
Untagged users
I have not noticed a big problem with Disc's mana. I heal a lot, but technically my MS is shadow, so a lot of my Disc gear are pieces like haste/mastery with one stat reforged to spirit. I'm fairly used to having to worry a ton about mana, so maybe that's why I wouldn't notice?

Some people did mention a few days ago that rapture didn't seem to be proc'ing for them after changing a talent until they relogged. I can't confirm this, but it was fairly widespread. I've also heard that it's fixed now, though that person could have just relogged.
Posted Dec 3, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
I got slightly less gear than you but also slightly more spirit, but fairly comparable I would say. I have never felt better about my mana, or my priest in general. I think right now we have better regen than any other class. We have the same passive spirit regen as everyone else, and on top of that an amazing Rapture, and our Mindbender. I find it hard to run out of mana nowadays. It might depend what spells you are using however.

I'm curious, you prefer Halo to Cascade? I have found Cascade superb on 10mans, as people always tend to be loosely spread out which works great for Cascade, and I don't have to work out all the time how I am positioned relative to everyone else.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Dec 3, 12
55 posts
Untagged users
I like Sheitan's answer better - it makes me feel sane. :sick: I need to dig a bit more before I get too worked up over it. It may be as simple as more haste=more casts. Our monk healer was concerned about her output dropping, so I may have been casting more often without even realizing it.

I prefer Halo in 25 mans - which for me means LFR. The visual effect of the heal hitting all those people is too cool to pass up. I suspect much of it is overhealing since LFR groups are designed to be easy, but it makes me smile anyway. I'll even confess that I've commented to my cats and suggest they watch (thus far they've ignored me). I generally restrict Cascade to 10 man only.
137544_2196ef67f1889b44.png
Posted Dec 3, 12 · OP
427 posts
Untagged users
Hehe well the haste thing could be definitely it. I am running with like 5% haste in my disc spec, but I reforge to haste when I go shadow. If I forget to reforge back when I go disc then I really feel it. Normally I can cast my rotation almost nonstop, but that is with a good 1500 or so more spirit instead of haste. At these lvls of 7-8k spirit, I do have to hold back, quite a bit often. So if you used to have a lot more spirit and lost some with the upgrades, that could be it. I make sure all my pieces have spirit in them by default, and ideally no haste at all, and I then reforge haste and mastery to crit. I didn't feel comfortable until I started hitting that 10k spirit limit. I see a lot of spots you have gemmed intellect, if you focus your gemming to spirit that would probably get you to good levels. Of course if you share gear with your shadow spec it gets tricky. The way I resolve this usually is: If my dps was what was holding the group back when I went dps, I would gear for that, otherwise I would gear for healing.

A difference of 1-2k spirit can really be felt in the long run. Doing some very rough math in my head, changing just 1k spirit into haste and continuing with the same rotation would amount to running oom about 10-13% earlier. 2k spirit would be a considerable effect.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Dec 3, 12
394 posts
Untagged users
I forget how strong spirit is for you guys! 1k less spirit would have been 3.7% less mana for me (resto druid) on Will of the Emperor (11:30). Is it just Rapture that makes Spirit so strong?
Posted Dec 4, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
I was actually doing a more complex calculation, the basic formula being: Time = (Total Initial Mana) / (Outgoing MPS - Incoming MPS)
Moving 1k spirit to haste both decreases Incoming MPS by around 110 or more, but also increases outgoing MPS since you have more haste (I assumed one would continue with the same "rotation"), so the denominator in the above expression increases considerably. I tend to think of increases in MPS not in terms of how much mana they give me over a fixed period of time, but of how much they can prolong my till till oom.

But Rapture is indeed that strong. Basically Disc has the 50% spirit regen that every other healer gets, and on top of that we get rapture, which gives us per point of spirit 2 mana every 15 seconds or so, 0.133 or so MPS. 1000 spirit would be 133mps. By comparison, 1k spirit gives you around 113 MPS in spirit-based regeneration. Rapture effectively causes Disc to gain twice as much from spirit as other classes. And let's not even get started on the insaneness of getting a Rapture to proc while the Mana Tide Totem buff is up.

The price we pay is that we don't get mana-free casts like Pally holy power or Druid clearcasting procs. But we get extremely efficient healing in the form of Penance and Holy Fire
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Dec 4, 12
Announcement of