Plus Heal|Site Info

Healing Surge

7 replies
107 posts
Untagged users
Should this be a resto sham's filler now, or is my raid shammy doing it wrong?
Posted Nov 28, 12 · OP
427 posts
Untagged users
According to my math over at http://www.healadinne.com/HealCalc/ HS is about as expensive in terms of HpM as GHW (assuming no 2set), and has much higher HpS, so it would be a good substitute for that. It is however considerably more expensive than HW. I may be wrong. I can't see it as a "filler" however, as in something to cast when there's very little damage going around. In terms of Mana per Second it is the second most expensive spell, right behind Healing Rain.

It also benefits from crit much less than the other single target heals.

Them's my 2c, hoping some experienced shammies will correct me.

Is he not running out of mana and/or hugely overhealing with HS as a filler?
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Nov 29, 12
107 posts
Untagged users
His mana seemed to always be near half. I took a look at his reforges and he's put everything he can into spirit, so I guess he can use Surge without going oom. Either way his numbers look good on recount/skada but the overall HP of the raid is pretty lackluster. Like a moron I forgot to look at overhealing for our fights lol.

Thanks for the math on GHW and Surge, I really appreciate it.
Posted Nov 29, 12 · OP
390 posts
Untagged users
If raid health is "lackluster", then overhealing seems unlikely, hehe. Recall that shaman heal for more on injured targets, so it's beneficial for a shaman to leave the raid "lackluster" (if the raid isn't about to take a big hit.)

Healing Surge also benefits nicely from Tidal Waves; I'm not sure how that's factored in to HealCalc.
Posted Nov 29, 12
390 posts
Untagged users
I went to answer my own question about HealCalc. It looks like HealCalc presumes all GHW and all HS are cast under the effect of Tidal Waves if that box is checked. (Which seems like a good thing to me.) However, I'm surprised the average heal is almost three times the base heal even with deficit set to 0 and a reported crit of 16%. What all is the difference there?

I think it makes sense to use HS instead of HW so long as he's always waiting for folks to have enough damage to heal up.
Posted Nov 29, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
Gosh! Good catch Oleander! I had an extra factor there on the mastery effect, was effectively doubling the average healing. I have fixed it now. To clarify on how the computations are done:

Indeed when Tidal Waves is selected, it is accounted as a full effect on all spells it affects, in particular it gives HS an extra 30% chance to crit.
Second, all those heals have the full effect of Ancestral Awakening accounted for. So the average heal has an extra 0.6*crit factor there. I also assumed that the heal of ancestral awakening is affected by mastery, on top of the effect that the original heal had. I would love to know from someone if that is indeed the case.

Btw you can now import your character's stats from armory. It should soon switch you to your spec automatically, but it will already at least update your stats.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Nov 29, 12
107 posts
Untagged users
I knew there was a reason for not checking overhealing somewhere in my brain... Thanks for vocalizing it.

But thanks again for the math. I'll be utilizing HealCalc in the future for fun maths. Love you guys :d
Posted Nov 29, 12 · OP
427 posts
Untagged users
Keep in mind that currently HealCalc does not compute the extra healing produced by having an earth shield on your healing target, it is on my todo. When it is implemented you will find a setting for it on the left side.
This is now implemented and on by default.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Nov 29, 12 · Last edited Dec 1, 12
Announcement of