Plus Heal|Site Info

Haste Breakpoints for Spirit Shell

6 replies
427 posts
Untagged users
Since preparing the raid using Spirit Shell is an essential part of being a Disc priest, it is worth discussing how haste affects how many prayers of healing can be fit into the 15 second duration of Spirit Shell. Let's get started then!

Prayer of Healing has a base cast time T of 2.5 seconds. The casts need to end while you still have the Spirit Shell buff, so for that reason I will account for half a second leeway and suggest that we should aim to fit our casts into 14.5 seconds. By default this means we can fit 14.5/2.5 = 5.8 casts of PoH, or just sort of 6 casts.

Haste affects this multiplicatively: If we have a given haste H, we will be able to perform
5.8*(1+H) casts. The haste breakpoints will therefore be computed as follows:
Start with a target number of PoHs, say 7. Divide it by 5.8. This will be 1+H. So for instance for 7 PoHs we need to reach 7/5.8 = 1.2069, or 20.69% haste.

Here's a table of it all. Again, this assumes that we fit our casts in 14.5 seconds, leaving us with 0.5 seconds to account for latency etc for the buff to drop off. This is how much haste you will need in your character sheet to be able to cast that many PoHs. The two worth possibly reaching I think are the 9.47% that allows you 8 PoHs (4 on each group on a 10man) under Power Infusion, so on every second Spirit Shell, and 14.94%, which allows you a 7th PoH always. You can always fit at least 6 PoHs with the 5% raid buff.

Buffs 6th PoH 7th PoH 8th PoH -------- ------------ ------------- -------------- No buffs 3.45% (1466) 20.69% (8793) 37.93% (16121) 5% Raid - 14.94% (6351) 31.36% (13329) 5% Raid+PI - - 9.47% (4024)

If we want to account for a bit longer latency, and try to fit our casts into 14 seconds, the breakpoints would be the following:

Buffs 6th PoH 7th PoH 8th PoH -------- -------------- -------------- ------------- No buffs 7.14% (3036) 25.00% (10625) 42.86% (18214) 5% Raid 2.04% (867) 19.05% (8095) 36.06% (15323) 5% Raid+PI - - 13.38% (5685)

You should of course treat these numbers as rough estimates, but they can help as a guide on what haste amounts to aim for.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Nov 21, 12 · OP
3 posts
Untagged users
How many PoH's does it take to max out SS? Will 8 be needed? Which of course also leads to the question of how big is SS?

I keep getting upgrades with haste, replacing gear with mastery. I can't decide if I should be reforging the haste back to mastery.
Posted Nov 22, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
It caps out at 60% of your health, which for me is around 230k. My PoHs shell for around 50k, so 4 of them on each group is just right, while 2 GHs would cap also. My gear pretty much all has mastery on it, and previously I was reforging it all to crit. Now it's mostly to haste because I use it for shadow also, so my mastery is close to 40% and crit close to 11%.

Myself if I didn't have to go shadow often I would reforge out of all my haste into either crit or mastery, I seem to go back and forth on this. Since the DA buff to 50% I tend to value crit more as I do a fair bit of healing through cascade and atonement.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Nov 22, 12 · OP
3 posts
Untagged users
Well, the comment about crit throw's me off as well. It is hard for me to make a lot of sense out of the hardcore math and theorycrafting on EJ but from what I can tell most of the posters value crit well below haste and mastery. There seems to be more debate on mastery vs haste. The Disc Priests ahead of me in progression on my server that I have been checking out seem split on haste vs mastery. Coming to think of it, though, the one that reforges for haste also plays as Shadow on some fights.
Posted Nov 26, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
No need for too much funky math, but you can play around with my online calculator at http://www.healadinne.com/HealCalc/index.html and see for yourself. First restrict yourself to just disc in the fliters section, and then hover over any spell's hps, and on the right side you will see how much benefit you get from +1000 of each stat (and you can adjust that amount). You will then see things probably close to the following for stat weights (with spellpower weight=1 for normalization purposes):

PoH: Int: 1.16, crit: 0.41, mastery: 0.35
GH (and most single target heals): Int: 1.27, crit: 0.85, mastery: 0.14
Shelled PoH: Int: 1.16, crit: 0.41, mastery: 0.81
Shelled GH: Int: 1.19, crit: 0.55, mast: 0.81

So on Spirit Shell effects, which are a big chunk of our healing, mastery is quite ahead of crit, almost double in some cases. Also on PW:Ss, mastery is miles ahead of crit since crit doesn't do anything. On non-spirit shell PoH, they are close with crit being a tad ahead. On single target heals crit is miles ahead.

Depending on how you balance these factors will determine what you want to gear for as far as crit vs mastery is concerned. in my case, about 35% of my healing comes from SS and PW:S, everything else comes from various spells from atonement to PoH to Cascade to on occasion GH. All those gain a lot more from crit simply because you get so much more by increasing your chances to actually crit in the first place. This is the reason I personally value crit more, though I consider it and mastery to be fairly close to each other. More crit means your DA is up more frequently, more mastery means it's up less frequently but is bigger when it's up. I prefer the "more frequent" approach.

Unless you are spamming PW:S a whole lot more than I do, which is about 1 every 12 seconds or so, or unless you absolutely need your spirit shell to reach a particular amount within a small number of casts, I see no reason to favor mastery that much.
Mind you, I was singing a different tune before DA went up from 0.3 to 0.5, the two stats were closer to each other before, for me. And in fact for spirit shell crit would be closer to mastery, except the update to the DA coefficients did not apply to the corresponding Spirit Shell coefficients.

I do not value haste much as disc personally, but atm since I have to go shadow on a lot of fights most of my gear is reforged to haste as well, mostly out of spirit however. Luckily I only go heals when we have to 3heal, with 2 other healers to complement me. The only hastepoint I would even remotely consider worth reaching is around 868, the point where you get an extra tick on Holy Fire. It's not much, but it's a bit, and it's easily achievable.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Nov 26, 12 · OP
Kit
36 posts
Untagged users
Sorry to necro, but I was reconsidering haste breakpoints, and was wondering -- do these calculations take starting with borrowed time into account?
Posted Jul 18, 13 · Last edited Jul 18, 13 by Kit
427 posts
Untagged users
No they weren't. They also weren't considering casting a Penance or Solace or PW:S halfway through. Too many possibilities. I find I hardly ever use the full 15 seconds these days. And they're likely going to be dropping down to 10 anyway next patch.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Jul 18, 13 · OP
Announcement of