Page
of 2

Smite healing in raids

14 replies
427 posts
Untagged users
Pristie wrote:
Poly wrote:
And smite healing 'double dips" on crit. The smite can crit (double damage = double heal) and the atonement can crit from what I remember! Again a crit either way is a smart heal to the lowest health player!

Not exactly. It does not double-dip into crit, but it does double-dip into the crit meta effect gem. The Atonement heal is a crit exactly when the corresponding smite/hf/penance is a crit. However the amount of the heal has an extra 1.03 factor in it. It's not huge, but it's nice to have.

The main advantage of atonement healing, apart from its smartness which is a big deal, is how ridiculously effective it makes penance. The Penance of a priest who keeps Evangelism going is 20% stronger and 30% cheaper compared to that of one who doesn't. This combines to an about 70% increase in Penance's HPM. How anyone could give up on that I don't understand. I believe any Disc priest these days should at the very least be using holy fire on CD and Penance offensively some of the times at least, to keep the Evangelism stacks rolling, and provide Archangel on demand. I feel doing otherwise is gimping your character. Utilizing Evangelism is a must, not a choice. Full Smite healing is a choice.

There are effectively 3 "levels" to "smite healing":

1. Cast almost nothing but Smite, HF, Penance. This provides the maximum dps benefit, but also hampers your hps. Excellent for a third healer on a fight where 2 healers would be enough but you want to back them up a bit, but frankly have one of those two healers go dps and play a "full disc" instead for an average hps around 60-70k without breaking a sweat.
2. Cast HF and Penance on CD, Smite only rarely, as a filler. Use Penance both offensively and defensively depending on whether you need Grace stacks on someone or not. Utilize the full disc arsenal, with frequent PW:S casts, Spirit Shell, Cascade/other lvl 90 talent. Pop Archangel frequently, preferably combined with Spirit Shell, to enter god-mode. Don't shy away from using GH when massive single target healing is needed. This way of playing is what I call "full disc": Use all the tools provided to the spec. Much less dps than option 1, but considerably more hps, with a penance that hits like a truck. Downside: Too many cds to keep track of.
3. Avoid HF/Smite like the plague, completely ignore Evangelism/Atonement/Archangel. Easier to work with for people who have a difficult time healing one person while targeting another, fewer things to keep track of. Lower hps than option 2, no dps at all, somewhat better Grace uptime.

I would call way 1 "smite/atonement healing", and way 3 "non-atonement healing". This sadly leaves the one I recommend, 2, without a name, hence my choice of using the term "full disc". Whether we like it or not, The Atonement/Evangelism/Archangel package is part of being a disc priest these days, not any more an option that someone might choose to go into. We should not ignore it, nor should we ignore everything else instead.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Jan 6, 13
13 posts
Untagged users
This is a good way to describe the 3 types of DISC healing. After I changed to Holy/DISC and use DISC to do dailies and such, I use a "DPS" gear set using the DPS shaw touched staff, dark moon flare DPS trinket for dailies/heroics. It's REALLY fun running heroics and be the highest DPS or 2nd if ya get a 'true' dps'r. lol
Also, it was a shock that penance was my biggest DPS and with the 4 piece bonus it is up almost every other cast! HF/Penance, smite and Penance is almost back. Just pop a shield/PoM and it's been up a sec.

I thought the Attonment heal had a chance to crit also. I will check my recount. But, as you said the smart heal of atonement is really nice and being able to contribute DPS is really nice.

Our 2nd team had used a DISC dps as 3rd healz/dps for some fights. It was a Spriest and she just went pure crit build with dps trinkets. Rarely shielded. Occasional Spirit Shell. Used cascade when needed with archangel. She did 50K pluss dps and with the smart only heals often was top/near top healer. With the smart heal effect it was awesome; however, until she had not set up to target heal so in emergencys, the direct healers had to watch and focus heal those in danger. She has joined our team so I keep the Holy for when she is 3rd healer as not to shield fight and Holy can be AoE or single target healz.

The "Full Disc" healing is more 'demanding' in that you have to use several spells and not use a certain 'set' of spells. I was DISC in cata and it seems very different with more CD's and things to watch. I feel that DISC is a little behind in constant AoE damage encounters or if people are spread out, especially in 25 mans. The range boost was a great improvement but a Divine Hymn with long CD would be nice as a 1 time HOLY CRAP or a help for one big raid heal moment.
124486_bb73600e315ad0c4.png
Posted Jan 6, 13
13 posts
Untagged users
Poly wrote:
Pristie wrote:
Poly wrote:
And smite healing 'double dips" on crit. The smite can crit (double damage = double heal) and the atonement can crit from what I remember! Again a crit either way is a smart heal to the lowest health player!

Not exactly. It does not double-dip into crit, but it does double-dip into the crit meta effect gem. The Atonement heal is a crit exactly when the corresponding smite/hf/penance is a crit. However the amount of the heal has an extra 1.03 factor in it. It's not huge, but it's nice to have.

This is what I mean about the 'double dipping'.

For a run, I checked recount:

Penance 288 reg hits 162 crits
Smite 236 " 50 "
Holy Fire 76 " 18 "

Atonement 844 " 162 "

Each "atk" has a chance to Crit and THEN each Atonement heal has a chance to Crit. Giving 2 opportunities for a crit. ie Double dipping.

Thinking, I need to make sure it's just not the 1.03 factor and check atonement amounts. I will check again hopefully tonight before raid if I hve a chance. Work 12 hrs today :(
124486_bb73600e315ad0c4.png
Posted Jan 9, 13
427 posts
Untagged users
Hm those numbers don't quite make sense to me, the number of atonement crits should equal exactly the number of damaging crits.

You can check this very easily on the target dummy though, just keep smiting and notice that the atonement heal is a crit exactly when the corresponding smite is a crit, and never else. Atonement does not have an independent chance to crit. the 1.03 factor does show up twice for the heal however. So if your smite is say 15000 at full evangelism stacks, then a crit smite would be 15000*2*1.03 = 30900 while the corresponding heal would be an extra 1.03 factor, 31827. If you look at heals on you, they are divided by 2, so you should be seeing 15000/2 = 7500 healing for a regular smite heal or 15913 for a crit one.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Jan 9, 13
55 posts
Untagged users
Pristie wrote:
I feel that DISC is a little behind in constant AoE damage encounters or if people are spread out, especially in 25 mans.

I have a different stance on this. To me, Divine Aegis rocks for AoE encounters. As with most Disc tools you have to plan ahead, but it is a great stabilizer.
137544_2196ef67f1889b44.png
Posted Jan 10, 13
Page
of 2
Announcement of