Plus Heal|Site Info

MoP Shaman-ing; how do you feel?

8 replies
Heya Shaman folk!

Whelp, leveled my shaman to 90, currently running heroics and scenerios and a billion-and-three dailies with her, and I have to say- I feel torn between being a GOD MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE and feeling totally constrained by my mana.

I am still in fairly low level gear, sitting at 453 or something, and I have a DPS trinket- I'm really not ideal yet. But so far I'm finding I am equal to all of the heroics I have tried, going in blind without reading the dungeon journal. It's so much FUN to have to struggle for things, after the last raid tier doing the same thing all the time without having to work for it all that much!

My mana tide totem is seeing a lot more use than it did before, but I'm having a hard time determining when it's best to use Ascendency. Doesn't help that I managed to fry my AC adapter while healing a heroic- the thing was literally on fire, oops, had to drop rapid-like- and I haven't had much of a chance to really truly incorporate all my new abilities into my arsenal. This certainly makes a fantastic change from early Cata, when I had just about NO cooldowns at my disposal!

I'm loving being able to drop a healing tide, and when combined with Spirit Link? Ridiculous! I love the change to healing stream totem, too- if I think of it like a priest prayer of mending, it really helps. I try to use it on CD.

Chain heal, I'm barely using. At this point, I've reverted to triage healing with a bit of healing rain when my group is standing sufficiently close; chain heal doesn't seem to hit that hard anymore. Another unexpected change to me is my new usage of Unleash Elements, especially now that it can be used in conjunction with healing rain- I scarcely ever cast HR without UE nowadays. I feel like my toolbox has greatly expanded with my ability to use my greater elemental totems to empower me, with my UE/HR combo, with HTT and SLT and Ascendency- so much more fun than before, in my opinion!

Still, the mana crunch is hitting hard. It's weird to have to drink after fights, and I am more than a little concerned with how long I'll be able to last healing a raid. Guess we'll see, right? :)

How's everyone else doing?
Cannibal Elf and Friends: A compendium of character stories

Daniyah, Seneschal of the Waymakers; Redguard Knight
Yngrid Bruknytta; Nord hunter of werewolves
Varayne; Altmer stormcaller and former scout
Posted Sep 29, 12 · OP
9 posts
Untagged users
I haven't decided whether I'm jumping in yet, but I do remember mana being an issue at the beginning of Cata (OH THE PAIN AFTER ENDLESS WRAITH MANA!!!) Even WotLK had some mana concerns at the beginning before all the tweaks.

I'm sad I haven't seen more information on Shamans and monks yet. I've been debating whether I'll return or continue enjoying the real world.
Posted Oct 1, 12
7 posts
Untagged users
Like Dyna I am alternating between Mistress of all that is Healing and "Oh please god let that come off cool down before xyz dies". My elementals (and their tasty buffs) are seeing more use than ever, but I will admit I too have gone an entire dungeon and not once used Ascendance. I am really enjoying that the heroics aren't soul killing as the early Cata ones were. Granted most of my experience has been with maybe 3 exceptions with a guild tank, so that may account for some of the comfort.
Posted Oct 1, 12
1 posts
Untagged users
Hey guys! So I hit 90 about 2 days ago on my shaman and I have to say I have not been experiencing this strain on my mana. Now don't get me wrong sone fights I do because lots of dps still don't know when not to stand in bad stuff which I'm sure we all have noticed haha. Btw to clarify I have only ran pugs so I don't have the luck of always having a perfect group! But here is usually how I heal and it's saving me A LOT of mana. Now I noticed you say you don't use HR unless there are a good handful of people together but I think even single target at this point is great yes I know I will get lots of backlash on this but hear me out. It last for 10 seconds heals every 2 now that going Procs earthliving weapon which lasts for 12 seconds onto of putting on riptide and than Earthshield on the tank and your gtg. Than you got healing wave for when people are takin minimal damage but HR and earthliving weapon effect with a little UE you really should be ok not to mention if you use ascendance it works with HR Im pretty sure for lots of healing very fast so try it out .there are about 2 bosses I have went OOM on because I got distracted in RL and had to play catch up with people's health bars lol. Anyways it's something to think about :) if someone could point me in the right direction I could always post a video showing what I do and how it works out so well gl out there guys and have fun :)

P.s. I forgot to mention! Im still in greens also and I have no enchantments of any sort so I'm sure with those I could Proble cut HR out of the picture but I personally feel it's not taking much mana to stop using. WoW armory Azureritey
Posted Oct 2, 12 · Last edited Oct 2, 12
55 posts
Untagged users
Howdy all!

My shaman was my main for most of Wrath, then I switched to my Disc priest for the end of Wrath and all of Cata. I returned to the shaman this expansion. My favorite thing about the shammy is the ability to interrupt. Perhaps I'm just rude. ;)

Adjusting to a CD based style has been fun for me. My guild attempted the first boss last week, but 3/10 were PuGs. We definitely progressed, but didn't down him. I learned in my taste of raiding that I need to focus more on me. Heroics have been a breeze, so I could easily plop down DPS totems and even help out DPSing. But those need to go out the window for now while people are learning mechanics.

My healing stream/prayer of mending totem is great since I'm used to the habit from priesting. Healing tide is absolute heaven. I do struggle with the use of Ascendance though. As the last tool to arrive in my toolbox I just haven't gotten into a good rhythm of using it yet.
137544_2196ef67f1889b44.png
Posted Oct 12, 12
27 posts
Untagged users
I just hit 90 a couple of days ago, levelling as Elemental (where between Ascendence, Capacitor Totem, and Ancestral Guidance, I would argue that we are in God Mode for soloing and scenarios lol) and after a day of doubt, decided to run a couple of Heroic PuGs for the experience.
Long story short, with no gems or Enchants, I have to say there is nothing that I can't handle. Can't say that I have really changed much of my healing style since Cata (only raided outside of LFR a couple of times). Have to get used to refreshing the Healing Stream Totem, and use my Healing surge judiciously but so far only one boss fight got me OOM though the Alchemy boost to the updated Potion of Concentration (can't remember the name off the top of my head) helped a lot (the gear I have right now has only 2551 Spirit and I was using Intellect buff food which I know is not optimal). That one fight was the adds boss in the Siege (the one wherre the boss calls forth scads of adds) and that one was with two Mages and a hunter as DPS, none of whom liked to be near each other. I am starting to look forward to Raiding again on my Shaman!
Posted Oct 12, 12
So, 6/6 in, I can say that I feel like shaman are strong right now!

This is a huge change from Cataclysm, where my shaman was shelved until Dragonsoul because of how awful heroics were when it dropped.

It hasn't been 'easy', per se, but I am definitely enjoying shaman much more than I did in the last expansion! My paladin cohealer blows my healing numbers out of the water, but then, he always does that- no matter what healer I'm on. :P

I read Vixsin's article on Life In Group 5, and where most sims are suggesting haste or mastery stacking... I'm going crit. I worry that I'm underperforming, but here's my logic- what do you guys think?

- With a holy paladin who mastery stacks and a shielding disc priest swing healer, the raid is at low health percentages very infrequently, thus my mastery doesn't get as much use as it would with any other healer combo.
- With the mastery raid buff, my mastery is at 40-some-odd percent ANYWAY.
- Haste just makes my heals faster, which is great, but again, I've got a bit of a buffer with mister mastery stacking pally healer, and our disc priest when she isn't shadow; the health tends to stick for that extra half second.
- Crit effects my resurgence. I gained twice as much mana from resurgence, as the holy paladin did from his Divine Plea. It's ridiculous.
- Crit has a chance to my make my heals BIGGER; the downside is over-healing, but right now, heals hit like limp noodles against massive damage. If I'm casting a greater healing wave, odds are I wish I was casting two simultaneously; I am not doing much overhealing compared to DS.

This strategy, again, seems to be working for me. But the holydin is spanking my numbers on the charts. Percentage-wise we're close-ish, but man oh man- when he's doing 50k hps and I'm only at 35k, I feel pretty bad. He's usually only between 5-7% above me in actual healing done, though. I worry that he's having to carry my numbers. :\

The upside was that where he wasn't able to keep the off-spec DK tank with 4 pieces of DPS gear up, I was- simply because he'd be at low health more frequently, activating my mastery, which then also had a good chance to crit... it was nice.
Cannibal Elf and Friends: A compendium of character stories

Daniyah, Seneschal of the Waymakers; Redguard Knight
Yngrid Bruknytta; Nord hunter of werewolves
Varayne; Altmer stormcaller and former scout
Posted Oct 20, 12 · OP
55 posts
Untagged users
I agree with you - I'm currently going the crit route as well, mainly for mana conservation. Haste would provide more heals, but more heals=more mana. Crit is bigger heals for the same mana. I realize the potential for overhealing but right now it is not an issue. I've been healing our lightly geared DK tank so far and my focus is just trying to keep him up. I may change later in the expansion, but crit is right for me, at least for the moment.
137544_2196ef67f1889b44.png
Posted Oct 24, 12
9 posts
Untagged users
based on the latest write ups and in game changes, Spirit then crit is the way to go when gemming. Mastery > Crit sub 50% but worse over 50% health so it depends on your fights and raid group but with a good group crit is the likely winner until you're in heroics. Haste is good, but with mana regeneration being an issue, you hit the cap and then go crit.

obviously it's all about output, vs mana, vs ability to land appropriate heals before people die.

In other words, by all accounts it sounds like crit is the winning secondary stat).
Posted Nov 5, 12
Announcement of