Plus Heal|Site Info
Page
of 4

[Priest] Comparison of Mastery vs Crit

33 replies
2 posts
Untagged users
Hey, sorry for writing in such an old thread, but at the moment I am trying to find the best priority settings for my Disc Spec. Is crit still so powerful, especially regarding Spirit Shell? Most guides say, I should stack up mastery, but there are a few spreadsheets that say mastery ist only the better stat, as long as most of my heals come from Shell and PW:S. As I am really bad in doing maths, I hope somebody here can explain me the best disc stats in MoP.
Posted Dec 10, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
Have a look at my HealCalc site in my signature (or let me know if it doesn't work for you), you should be able to pull your stats from armory. Then when you hover over a spell, you will see on the right side a stat comparison on how much benefit that spell gets from each stat. You will see then that spirit shell and PW:S scale extremely well with mastery, while almost all spells scale really well with crit (but not quite at the mastery's level). For myself a large part of my healing comes from atonement and cascade, so I opt for a heavier crit build. Crit still benefits spirit shell a lot but not quite at the mastery level.

Basically: On non-shell non-poh heals, crit is worth close to 0.9 of spellpower, while mastery is closer to 0.2. For non-shelled poh, crit is worth 0.45 of spellpower, mastery is about 0.37. For shelled spells mastery is worth about 0.9 of spellpower, crit is closer to 0.5 (0.4 for poh shelled, 0.6 for others shelled).

I think emphasizing either crit or mastery are both viable choices and would be fairly close in the long run. Crit offers more regular shielding in the form of more frequent DA procs, mastery emphasizes "gimme lots of shielding right now!", by making PW:S and shells more powerful. At the end of the day I don't think you can go wrong either way. And it does all depend on your spell distribution at the end of the day.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Dec 10, 12 · OP
2 posts
Untagged users
Thank you. I guess for my playstyle (SmiteSmiteSmiteSmite ohoh, damage inc: Spirit Shell) I need a good balance and focus rather on items with crit. Do you know of a "deadline" of mastery, where it becomes unreasonable to gather up more?
Posted Dec 10, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
I hope you throw holy fires and penances inbetween those smites :sick:. but yeah for heavy atonement I would favor crit.

There is no real "deadline" or "cap" for mastery. The only "cap" on crit and mastery would be if you have so much of it that 3 PoH spirit-shelled casts exceed the spirit shell cap (which is a percent of your health pool that I now forget), I would go easy on mastery if somehow you've reached that point. I doubt it is reachable though.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Dec 10, 12 · OP
Page
of 4
Notices