Plus Heal|Site Info
Page
of 2

Do we need another Healing Class?

13 replies
199 posts
Untagged users
Hurray! We are getting a new healer, but what is special about them?

We know that they will get a mana bar when they go into a healing stance. Mana is used by every healing class, how is this new or compelling? Are they even adding to the diversity of healing? Is there anything that they can do that another healing class already can or will do in MoP? Do we need them or is this just a way to keep the highest stress roles (tanking and healing) to stay in the game with a totally new class to let them toy around with?

One could argue that Monks will be the DK of the healing world. I can envision many dungeons with the healer speced into brewmaster and the monk saying "I chose some healing talents too so I can do everything". /facepalm

Adding in a new class also has a disadvantage of purposely overtuning them to make people WANT to play them. Loosing a raid spot to a monk in all greens because they are new, shiney, and over tuned certainly won't feel good. There may be new pressure for you to re-roll so the guild can get a feel for a max level monk. The flip side to this is the prejudice this class will face in terms of getting raid spots. I distinctly remember almost all raid/guild recruitment spams including "No DKs" at the end. Will you have to be an amazing monk healer to be considered on par with the other healers?

What say you oh healing community? How do you feel about another healing class? Needed or a nuisance? or a disaster if you happen to be so inclined?
Posted Oct 27, 11 · OP
260 posts
Untagged users
Needed? No. In the extreme, we only need a single class with three/four specs. This probably isn't the meaning of "need" you were intending, but hey.

I haven't heard a lot about how the monk is actual going to heal. I've heard it's going to use mana. Great. If it's just another healer who stands around casting spells, then I don't see the point. It won't necessarily hurt anything, I just don't find it very exciting.

The flavor of classes (and other things) in this game comes from the variations in what they do and in how they do it. Unless they implement some mechanic to significant differentiate monk healing from the already existing healing classes, I'll probably find the monk to be less-than-exciting. From what I've heard of how the monk will DPS, that would probably be my main interest.

So, I guess it's just too early to tell for me. I'm not certain how they will create a new niche/style, resource management, or whatever they are trying to do to make monk healing feel unique, but these are the things that will really decide it for me.
Posted Oct 27, 11
58 posts
Untagged users
Well, from some of the things I've seen/heard, Monks will be getting some heal while you deal damage abilities. So a melee Atonement Disc, for lack of a better term/comparison? I'm mainly curious if they will be getting Int-based regen or not.

As for needing a 5th healer class ... Well, if they can make it different enough and still not be OP in comparison. Based on current content, melee aren't really favorable so if Monks are in fact restricted to meleeing healing type of things, then well ... What good are they? XD
Posted Oct 27, 11
83 posts
Untagged users
As far as the "need" for another healing spec goes, I'm with Vandreigan: the raids would still be raiding, the bosses still be crushing and fulfilling dreams, even without a new class of any sort. It purely comes down to diversity and fresh air, so to speak.

I'm not entirely sure and could have misheard things, so take the following with a grain of salt: (Edit: Keldara heard it too!) At Blizzcon, they said the healing style of Monks will be alike to Atonement Priests, with the big difference that they will be in melee range. It seemed like they want Monks to feel more engaged in the actual fight, rather than standing at a (more or less) safe distance and working in the background. If meleeing (what a terrible word) really is necessary to do optimal healing, that alone will add a lot of flavor to the new healing spec.

What I am also very excited about is that Blizzard has the unique opportunity of building a healing spell arsenal from scratch. What will they consider as "baseline" what are the "niche" abilities? They gave all of us a huge overhaul in Cata with the 3-Heal model and now they can go another step and totally rethink how they want healing to feel and work, because there are no leftovers or player-expectations from the past to slow them down with the Monks.
Posted Oct 27, 11
58 posts
Untagged users
Thinking about it, I may just scrap my level 26 wannabe holy paladin for a way in the future Monk healer instead.

Based on that they will have mana as a resource, I'm guessing they will be sporting Intellect, and that the tank/melee DPS specs will be using Agility, akin to Druids currently.

I still kind of think they will have some form of 3-Heal model to "balance" things.

But imagine if their heals are based off of weapon speed ... Slow speed larger heals, fast speed smaller healers .. :sick: The possibilities!
Posted Oct 27, 11
I don't really think we needed another healing class. I mean we have 4 as it is and it feels like an ever shrinking number of spots reserved for healers. I also think that with 4 healing classes they already struggle to make them both unique and yet also capable of performing all healing functions. They are just exacerbating their problems with defining healing styles while trying to maintain some sort of healing class parity. I'm afraid that in their zeal to make monks desirable to raids they make them op in some fashion. Let's hope not!

I also agree that melee are often the most undesirable classes to have. Oftentimes there is virtually no penalty for having a melee-free raid. Trying to wedge a healer in to the number of people you want in melee range kind of sucks. They are going to have mana so they will share gear with resto druids. Thank god they didn't give them some special snowflake gear. Then we'd have the added headache of trying to fit in more gear on tiny 10 man drop tables.
Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Posted Oct 27, 11
199 posts
Untagged users
That actually makes me wonder if the monk WILL be needed. So many people have pointed out that melee range is a disadvantage. Lets face it this expansion has been a lot of "sucks to be melee." The next tier seems to be a lot of focus on us grouping up to split a lot of damage, maybe a highly mobile healer will be required or at least give a large advantage.
Posted Oct 28, 11 · OP
74 posts
Untagged users
Or maybe this will be the whole niche of the monks the fact that as melee they won't really be required to mover around at all? You are also comparing the current content with something that won't be introduced until next expansion - in a very different context. I wouldn't go all "oh a melee healer would suck" until I actually saw how they play out in the end.

Not having mana on the other hand would make for a truly terrible healer - it would either be stupidly overpowered by never being resource constrained or badly underpowered with the same issues that DK tanks had - you don't want to depend on a very limited resource for your healing spells or CDs. Paladin for example are my least favorite healing class because I find holy power to be sort of a clunky mechanic. I can't even imagine having ALL my spells bound to a similar type or resource. Come to think of it, monks might really have a bit of everything - I assume they will keep their light and dark energy for certain spells even when healing - a bit like holy power, they will have a totem-like ability (I have read they will place down statues that pulsate healing when the monk deals damage)(source : http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2523-World-of-Warcraft-Classes-Item-Professions-Q-A-Panel) and a damage to healing part to them like atonement priests! I doubt they will tie every one of their healing abilities to a damage ability, but we will see.

Are they "needed"? Maybe not - though I know guilds that clear heroic content with 2 druids and a priest so you could argue that no healer is actually "needed". Will it be fun to take on a different play style when healing? I think so.
Posted Oct 28, 11
177 posts
Untagged users
As they are changing how tanks will be made more responsible for staying alive by abilities that grant them mitigation or self-healing, they will have to overhaul the whole healing system as well.
Only time will tell what is coming at us :sick:
Posted Oct 28, 11
71 posts
Untagged users
I agree that more of the same from a new healing class would be disappointing. However, I don't see how they could do much else.

Unlike for the other roles, a healer's resource is central to their role in the raid. Part of why Holy Paladins have been so hard to balance this expansion is that they have a different resource than the other healers. They really didn't have much choice but give monks a mana bar for healing: if they didn't have mana, you'd either see raids stacking monks for long fights, or chi/orbs being very limiting for unpredictable damage.

I'm not too happy about the idea about DPSing to heal. Everyone says that the AA/A format is "creative", I say it is simply throwing in the towel creatively (did I mention I don't like it?). I rolled a healer; I want to heal. If I wanted to DPS, I'd be Shadow. You can't make the damage significant, and you can't make the benefit of a dps-->healing style too good or every healer will need it. It will be difficult to ever make such a system much more than the farm boss fluff it is today (granted, having AA as Disc is a nice benefit, but it has yet to push standard Disc out of raiding). You end up using a lot of GCDs doing something other than your role in the raid.

making the damage process for such a spec MELEE will be even worse. Being in melee range in this game is bad enough as a DPS; all you have to do is reach is your target. How much fun is it going to be when you have to run away from your target (to melee the boss for resources), then run back to them (say, a ranged member of your group that is now out of your healing range because you had to run to the boss first) to heal them? That doesn't sound appealing at all.

We learned in Vanilla: true hybrids have a tough time fitting into this game.

It sounds like from GC's comments that they learned a few things with DKs, and will endeavor not to overtune them.

It will be nice to see a new class to help soak up some of that leather; fingers are crossed they don't go on the Pally/Priest/Warlock token.

However, all that said, I think there's potential for a spell package that works more from a spatially oriented standpoint than a green-bars standpoint. What I mean is spells like the ground AEs, Lightwell, and Light of Dawn, that require the healer to be aware of where exactly their targets are on the battlefield. If the monk could be based on that, I'd be pretty impressed. For instance, a modified roll that healed everyone in a line between your current location and the roll target, or a kick that healed everyone in its arc.
Posted Oct 29, 11
Page
of 2
Notices