Plus Heal|Site Info
Page
of 5

Haste cap

46 replies
Halora
Zusterke wrote:
I recall someone making a notion that only the GCD is capped and not your spells
Exactly.

Spells cast time can be lower than 1 sec, for example a Disc priest mass dispel cast time is 0,5 sec (with no haste whatsoever). It's REALLY fast, but you still have to wait another second before casting your next spell, but even so, the mass dispel lands in only half a second.

With my current gear haste (17,11%), 6% from enlightenment, blood lust and Borrowed time, my flash heals lands at 0,74 secs, but since the GCD can't be lower than 1 sec, it means that I can't cast another spell for another 0,26 more seconds. Or I can cast a 1,2 sec Greater Heal or a 1 sec Penance. That's why the haste caps are called soft caps.
Posted Jan 13, 10 · OP
Darqwan
I'm a little confused
Zusterke wrote:

Disc priests get 6% from Enlightment and 25% from Borrowed Time. This gives: 32.5% haste combined. One lacks 13.2% haste to get 50%. But if you take into account raidbuffs, which can be 3% or 5%, you could gear for as little as 9.9% or 7.8%.

how does 6 + 25 + 13.2 = 50%?

-Darqwan
Posted Jan 22, 10 · OP
Vulpesia
Hey Z, since you are such an amazing math head, I was wondering if you could poke your math mind over in our pally forums, as I have a math question that I cannot seem to get a solid answer on concerning what the soft haste cap for a paladin would be in the absence of specific raid buffs, such as the 3% from a ret pally or boomkin and the 5% from Wrath of Air totem. I am looking to know what the caps are in the presence of either or, and neither, as in different raid nights, I am subject to either neither, one or the other, or on a rare occasion, both, and I would like to know what haste levels I can safely stay at for different fights.

Here is a link to my thread: http://www.plusheal.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5116

Thanks again Z, as always, I am in awe of your far superior math skills. :sick:

-V
Posted Jan 22, 10 · OP
410 posts
Admins
Moderators
Darqwan wrote:
I'm a little confused
Zusterke wrote:

Disc priests get 6% from Enlightment and 25% from Borrowed Time. This gives: 32.5% haste combined. One lacks 13.2% haste to get 50%. But if you take into account raidbuffs, which can be 3% or 5%, you could gear for as little as 9.9% or 7.8%.

how does 6 + 25 + 13.2 = 50%?

-Darqwan

Z is multiplying the percentages, not directly adding them.
    6% + 25% = 1.06 x 1.25 = 1.325 = 32.5%
    50% - 32.5% = 1.50 / 1.325 ≈ 1.132 = 13.2%
Posted Jan 22, 10
Halora
Darqwan, to clarify it further.

Haste from different sources are combine in a multiplicative way and not adding them.
Posted Jan 25, 10 · OP
Talents
Zusterke wrote:
The are different views on it but generally... the minimum you want to aim for is the amount of haste you get without ever being haste capped. Sometimes higher numbers are recommended for a particular strategy.

For holy priests, this would have to do with Serendipity giving up 36% haste. One needs only 10.3% haste to cap then.

However... I recall someone making a notion that only the GCD is capped and not your spells. This would mean that a 2.5s cast spell could be reduced further using haste, beyond the 50%. I used to know the answer once upon a time but I seem to have forgotten that (silly me). I'm going to verify that :sick: If it's indeed the case that you can go beyond 50% haste for spells with a longer cast time than 1.5s, then the caps will be much higher for the holy priest and getting over 10% haste isn't all that bad for disc priests though the latter will feel the hit from the cap a lot more.

The numbers are accurate however the information is not. Ppl consider the borrowed time buff as a stationary 25% haste which is by no means and is rather role specific. A tank healing disc priests is going to use borrowed time to cast a fast GHeal after penance but will have to wait another 10+ seconds to do this again so they usually stack haste far beyound the 8% minimum. However the raid healing disc priest will largly have this buff active all the time so they can stack other things but the issue comes up with disc is that bubble spamming doesnt scale with anything except sp so it almost doesnt matter what % haste the do or dont have. Most top Disc priests are grabbing as much gear with both Haste and crit as they can steal from the dps and then filling out the rest of their gear with spirit or mp5 / crit gear and gemming for pure sp ignoring all socket bonues cept whats needed for the meta

Holy on the other hand stacks haste to the sky. serindipity is something that alot of priests arent even specing into and even if they do the spells they effect are not spells that u can possibly cap witha realistic amoutn of haste. they are 3 sec base casts with one that u can spend 5 points to make a 2.5 second cast. i perosnally will be healing ICC as holy this tier and be shooting for 900 haste i large choose to go to this number rather than full gcd capped at 1200 because i will also be dropping tailoring for eng so the glove enchant will cap me plus ill still find some benifit in hero and haste pots.
Posted Jan 30, 10 · OP
JoeEgo
I made & posted this in the paladin forums a while back. The spreadsheet should be useful for any class' spell. It is a xlsx sheet protected but with no password, though conversion with non-Excel applications may remove the protection.

The notes attached to various cells detail how to use the file. The basics:
[*]Enter "Base Cast Time", taking into account talents or procs giving you an absolute reduction.
[*]Verify the Haste rating conversion for your level (set to lvl 80 here).
[*]Enter the name and % values for up to 10 haste Effects. It is up to you to understand what effects are non-stacking.
[*]Modify any values in the "Haste Rating" column to suit your preferences, gearing options, or theories.

The rest of the spreadsheet should calculate based on the values entered. The "Haste %" displays unbuffed haste while the "Raid Haste %" displays haste accounting for the Effects entered above.
Posted May 2, 10 · OP
Iratio
I'm not sure what is going on in this thread, but if I reach 1093 haste rating (33%) my cast time for 1.5s Flash Heal will be reduced to 1s (almost there already).

1.5 - (1.5 * 33%) = 1

Does the GCD follow a different formula than the cast times?
Posted May 11, 10 · OP
347 posts
Admins
Moderators
Iratio wrote:
Does the GCD follow a different formula than the cast times?

No. If you have a 1 second cast on a 1.5 second ability, your global cooldown will also be 1 second.
Auracen - Druid
Twitter
Google+
Posted May 11, 10
Iratio
Thanks, that is what I thought.

I submit then that the soft-cap (1s GCD) is 1093 haste rating or 33% haste.
Posted May 11, 10 · OP
Page
of 5
Announcement of