Challenge Modes

12 replies
347 posts
Admins
Moderators
This get anyone else excited too?
Blizzard wrote:
Challenge Modes Differences
Challenge modes are more than just a timed run. On a basic level, every single creature in Challenge Mode dungeons is significantly stronger than the Heroic version (typically by a larger proportion than you see going from Normal to Heroic raiding, for what that's worth), and where appropriate, additional enemies or new mechanics are added to make sure that the threat of defeat is always present. For many players, simply successfully completing a challenge run is going to be, well, a challenge. That's why we award excellent Valor gains for doing so. Aiming for Silver, let alone Gold, will be something for experienced players to do once they've mastered the content.

Players who tested the Scarlet Halls challenge mode when that one was open, to name one example, can probably attest that the Armory section of that dungeon is every bit as brutal as anything in Heroic Shattered Halls was in Burning Crusade. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Auracen - Druid
Twitter
Google+
Posted Sep 12, 12 · OP
45 posts
Untagged users
Can't wait.
Looking forward to it.

Only worry is finding 4 other people who are interested.
I've been building my friends list over time adding people who I met in 5-mans, so hopefully that will help.

Well, that and guildies, but it's hard to predict since guild is mostly offline now at the end of the expansion.
https://twitter.com/potatoeWoW
http://reddit.com/user/potatoeWoW
http://www.guildox.com/go/g.aspx?search=potatoedecay&w=S
Posted Sep 12, 12
886 posts
Untagged users
Yes. Finally. I'm tired of sleeping on 5 mans (except at the very start of every expansion) and like the idea that I can always run something and have it be challenging, without waiting on heroic raid nights.

I also like that it gives you transmog awards (or equivalent bragging rights) without people whining and hollering for nerfs cause those are runs necessary for gearing for raids.

Then again D3 inferno wasn't necessary either and people still whined until they nerfed it hardcore. Hopefully they'll resist this time.
Posted Sep 12, 12
347 posts
Admins
Moderators
potatoe wrote:
Can't wait.
Looking forward to it.

Only worry is finding 4 other people who are interested.
I've been building my friends list over time adding people who I met in 5-mans, so hopefully that will help.

Well, that and guildies, but it's hard to predict since guild is mostly offline now at the end of the expansion.

You're on my friends list Potatoe - Although I don't think we've talked in a while ;)

Once it's all launched if you need peeps to run with hit me up. Although one of us will probably have to run off-spec (aka not heal) :)

Challenge modes are probably the only thing really keeping me interested in Warcraft right now. I don't want to commit to raiding on a set schedule, so playing with 3-4 other friends in a casual time frame while being able to do difficult content is very appealing to me.

The fact that they scale your iLevel to make everything equal in challenge modes is also very appealing, I won't feel like I have to do raid content in order to make the challenge modes easier.

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that from what a friend told me, Challenge modes are not cross server... you can't queue for them via the dungeon finder, and subsequently you have to enter them via an instance portal again. Not sure why, but that I actually like too. It was awesome when they introduced the dungeon finder and made it easier to get straight into an instance, but it might actually be fun to go back to the old way.
Auracen - Druid
Twitter
Google+
Posted Sep 12, 12 · OP
45 posts
Untagged users
Auracen wrote:
Once it's all launched if you need peeps to run with hit me up. Although one of us will probably have to run off-spec (aka not heal) :)
I'll keep that in mind.
I have a level 85 DK tank, so I can run off-spec.

I read some comments on mmo-champion DK forums that worried about viability of DK tanks for speed runs because of lack of aggro cooldowns, but I haven't seen it for myself yet.
Also, there is still the possibility of a patch or hotfix to fix such issues..

Just in case they don't address those potential issues, I started working on a paladin tank, but he's only level 80 and has been languishing a bit.
https://twitter.com/potatoeWoW
http://reddit.com/user/potatoeWoW
http://www.guildox.com/go/g.aspx?search=potatoedecay&w=S
Posted Sep 12, 12 · Last edited Sep 12, 12
27 posts
Untagged users
I am also looking forward to this. I can see it as a Recruitment tool for Guilds - we run Challenge Modes on a regular schedule. I'd jump Guilds for that since the one I am in right now had such a hard time with the original Cata Heroics. I actually preferred PUG groups over Guild groups for those dungeons until most people in my Guild out-geared the content, something that can't happen in the Challenge Modes
Posted Sep 12, 12
98 posts
Untagged users
This could be a lot of fun - I am looking forward to this for guild groups.
Morality is not obedience. Morality derives from empathy and a sense of communal obligation with our fellow human beings.
- PZ Myers
Posted Sep 12, 12
133 posts
Untagged users
I got one of each healer and my girl got one of each tank we so ready to rock challenge modes. My biggest worry is what if you need 1 healer over another like it ends up being monks and disc priest because they can dps.
Healing with a Positive Carbon Footprint since 2004
WoW = Taiboku - Nall - Reicher - Pottle- Poxs
Posted Sep 12, 12
409 posts
Admins
Moderators
I'm definitely excited. My hope is that with the Proving Grounds feature still coming down the pipeline, Blizzard will utilize it effectively to help players who struggle with Challenge Modes to rise to the occasion, rather than just nerfing Challenge Modes if they initially prove to be too tough.
Posted Sep 12, 12
347 posts
Admins
Moderators
Wynn wrote:
My biggest worry is what if you need 1 healer over another like it ends up being monks and disc priest because they can dps.

Hadn't really considered that, but I can already see the forum posts now... It'll basically be like when people post a list of the top ten 3v3 teams or 5v5 arena teams. "X isn't in the top ten, but every team has a Y... Nerf Y, Buff X, kthnksbai"
Auracen - Druid
Twitter
Google+
Posted Sep 13, 12 · OP · Last edited Sep 13, 12
Page
of 2
Announcement of