Plus Heal|Site Info

Heroic Spine and my healing vs a crazy Paladin

7 replies
2 posts
Untagged users
Don't know if the correct place to post for this, but I am just want some input.

I don't think I am the best priest, but I don't think I am bad either. On heroic spine we have a holy paladin that completely dominated me on both healing overall and searing plasma heals, while maintaining 80% mana over the entire fight. Should this happen?

Log for our first spine kill which just happened last night:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7c5xpwmkmwmatp53/sum/healingDone/?s=4332&e=5087

My armory, I am reforged for Disc atm and I mix and match gear for Holy/Disc so the current reforge might not make sense.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/exodar/prelude/simple

For spine I reforge to have high spirit for lots of mp5 as well as crit as I read somewhere that was the way to go. And for healing the fight, I was of course using Renew on everyone with Searing Plasma as well as the tanks, trying to keep CoH and PoM on CD, all the typical priest things. Using Jaws of Defeat to help with mana conservation on renew spam and laying down Sanctuary. My mana cooldowns go like this, 30 seconds in Shadow Fiend, 2:30 Hymn, 8:30 both. It isn't a lack of mana issue on my part, especially since we had 3 Shamans for the kill.

The EVIL cheating Paladin armory.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/exodar/theholybamf/simple

So yeah, should I have gotten beaten as badly as I did? What can I do to improve my own personal numbers. And without this Paladin I think its possible I would be top heals on most fights.
Posted Apr 5, 12 · OP
427 posts
Untagged users
In any fight that favors a lot of stacking and constant damage, Holy Pallies will have an advantage I think. The price they pay is that their aoe healing isn't as high when the raid is too spread out. So I would not feel too bad about him being ahead. He has used his abilities well. On a brief look at your stuff, only thing I can suggest, given my limited Holy experience, and my complete lack of familiarity with the heroic version of the fight, is that given the duration of the fight you could have squeezed in an extra early DH. That would definitely have moved your numbers a bit further up. I think however that you have done a very good job altogether.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Apr 5, 12
145 posts
Untagged users
Mr. (Dr. ?) Evil is stacking Avenging Wrath and Divine Favor for the two burst periods (two rolls?). He is also stacking both cooldowns in other parts of the fight as well. The Hymn on the second burst is great for boosting his output even more. Holy Radiance is a good tool in those situations and he's milking it.

The rest of the time he is using a lot of Holy Light spam and doubling it through Beacon. If the heal and the Beacon are both on Plasma targets then he'll do very mana efficient healing for most of the fight. He doesn't do much, if any cleansing, and doesn't appear to focus heavily on the tanks.

I don't know Priests well enough to comment on your performance. Be careful with talk about being top output "without this Paladin" because you should still be able to top him or get a lot closer by improving your own performance. Aside from your performance, I will offer one tip: use the Maw. Maybe you've equipped Heroic Vagaries for something special but you're hurting your output by not using the Maw.

*addendum: regarding Addine's point, you should be using Hymn 2 or 3 times on this fight. It's a big deal to the raid and on a 3 minute cooldown. 1 Hymn in 12 minutes makes me wonder.

Otherwise, this appears to come down to the old truism: AoE healers will top the meters.
Yoseketh / Videographer /Standard Deviation - Blackrock / Leveling Holy / @JoeEgo812
Posted Apr 5, 12
74 posts
Untagged users
Hey there!

What works for the priests in my guild is a heavy mastery build and instead of renew rolling we use GH instead to take advantage as much as possible of said mastery.

This is our log from last week:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-k3r7mipvzonx4ie7/sum/healingDone/?s=2928&e=3601

Overall it feels like the paladin is picking up the slack from the shamans and not from you but you can give it a try and see if it feels better.
Posted Apr 5, 12
2 posts
Untagged users
I've used Hymn 2-3 times throughout that fight and it may not have been used within the first 3 minutes as nothing is going on, but it was always during a shamans totem as we had cooldowns to spare. I also hold onto my Hymn for something just went wrong moments as I know it is very good at that. I was using it on the rolls with one of the Shamans totems.

CD rotations went something like:

Rolls were always Shaman #3 and I would Hymn with him if I felt the need or I would save it in case things went south.
Nuclear Blast Shaman #1 and #2 rotate

As for not using maw, I just took it for the extra stats and at times I swap it out mid fight.

I use the words "Without this Paladin" because to me it feels like with the Holy Radiance everywhere it feels like everything is healed up before I can even get to it. And besides that he just joined and thats how it was, before him we had a priest from a top 50 US guild with us and I was on par with, right below, or right above him on any encounter.
Posted Apr 5, 12 · OP · Last edited Apr 5, 12
145 posts
Untagged users
Don't be mad at Radiance!

fcj1j.jpg
Yoseketh / Videographer /Standard Deviation - Blackrock / Leveling Holy / @JoeEgo812
Posted Apr 6, 12
177 posts
Untagged users
Having multiple shammies give you spirit link totem for all the nuclear blasts, so no harm in blowing hymn to get rid of plasma and heal loads while rolling.
Use hymn again whenever it's off cooldown on a next roll or nuclear blast, which will make you contribution to overall healing a lot higher.
Reason for 80% mana is probably correct use of divine plea + multiple mana tides + hymn of hope and arcane torrent (didn't check whether you guys are horde and he's a bloodelf).

Tanks need some love as well, especially later on in the fight.
Usually people don't put holy priests on tanks, but in this fight, you might as well keep sanctuary, CoH and PoM on cooldown to help with plasma healing, while healing the tank group.
Keep renew on the tanks and GH, when there is only 1 or no plasma targets in G1.
PoH when you have 2 or more plasma targerts in G1.

But mainly using DH more will net you out more healing.

Other then that, the paladin seemed to have done a good job and has used his arsenal of spells properly.
Holy radiance alone is not what will have made his healing that much higher then what a holy priest can do.
Posted Apr 6, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
(I just realized you guys are on my server! First time I run into someone from US-Exodar in the forums. You're Horde side, but I'll try not to hold that against you ;) ).

I think people misread my post and/or didn't look at the logs. He already has 3 uses of DH on a 12.5 minute fight. All I was saying is he could have possibly squeezed in just one more early one. It would make a small difference but not a huge one. Your pally has just done an amazing job managing their abilities:
He used Divine Plea the maximum number of times, 6 vs only 4 by your other pally. I'm guilty of not maximizing that myself.
He used his Guardian twice when your other pally didn't use him at all.
He used his beacon intelligently on the first part of the fight, moving it from target to target to double-dip on Heal on the debuff targets. Then switched it to the tanks towards the end of the fight.
He hasn't even specced on magic cleansing, leaving that part to someone else and not having to spend time doing that (so ok this one isn't about using the abilities well, but would explain a bit)
He is specced into both eternal glory and blessed life resulting in a lot of free holy power gains. Especially Blessed Life on a fight like this. I am surprised they didn't put 2 points in it.
He could have squeezed in another LoH for another 10% of their mana, but clearly didn't need it.
Compared to your other pally, they have a lot more mastery vs haste, resulting in much more mana efficient healing, especially on a fight like this where very little of the Illuminated Healing shield will end up overhealing. I am not advocating mastery over haste, but that could be another explanation for their higher numbers.

No time for more analysis atm, I think you already got some great advice. I just wanted to point out the use of DH, and then kinda got carried away from there.
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Apr 6, 12
Announcement of