Plus Heal|Site Info
Page
of 2

Raid leader looking for help with resto druid

13 replies
2 posts
Untagged users
I'm a tank on a 10 man raid guild and we seem to have hit a wall with our resto druid. I've limited healing experience as a priest, but none on a druid so I'm hoping this forum could help me out. Whenever we drop down to 2 healers in our 10 man (We have a resto shammy go ele) healing becomes very dicey and we have a couple of wipes where people die.

Our resto druid 's seems rather low. I've looked through logs and had him adjust his gear for the haste breakpoints as mentioned, and also had him respec to the standard resto druid raid spec, but his healing is still off. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some ideas on how to improve? I really don't want to have to bench him, but it's getting to the point where it is becoming a big issue.

World of logs link
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/zjdc8a98a766xc0y/

Posted Feb 22, 12 · OP · Last edited Feb 22, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
I'm far from an expert in druid healing, but looking at your normal zon'ozz kill there's 2 things that stood out. One was the very low uptime on Lifebloom, which is an essential mana regen tool for druids, both because of Revitalize and because of the clearcasting procs of Malfurion's Gift. Your druid should keep it up on someone the whole time, ideally the tank but depending on how you guys are doing the fight the tank is often out of range of our druid, in which case one of the ranged would do. She's had a very low uptime on Lifebloom on your HMorchok kill, and there's really no excuse there since a tank is certainly within range.

The other big thing is the lack of Tranquility and Tree. It seems you guys had three black phases on Zon'ozz; our druid pops tree for the first, tranquility for the second, and then again when they come up on future phases. Your druid didn't use either of these major CDs. That's the analog of a holy priest not using Divine Hymn and then some. Looking at your heroic Morchok kill it seems she used Tree once, but again no Tranquility, and no second tree, which the fight duration would allow. Those two CDs are big throughput for Druids, so not using them is hurting her a fair bit. Maybe she's keeping them for emergency situations, but there's nothing more emergency than Zon'ozz black phase.

Specwise I would take those points out of Furor and put them in Genesis instead, hots and Efflo which is based off Swiftmend area huge part of her healing so no reason not to buff them. At her gear level the points in Furor are probably not really that needed, but maybe someone more expert can speak to that. But that is not so major as the low Lifebloom uptime and lack of CD usage, so I'd start from there.

Edit: Harmony uptime is rather low too
HealCalc MoP Healing calculator.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Feb 22, 12
277 posts
Untagged users
Poly hits the key points. I'll comment from my perspective (probably going to sound a bit harsh though only intend to be helpful).

1) Lifebloom uptime: Unacceptably low. This should be 100% of healing time (healing time = when a healer is actually healing and not DPSing or regen'ing, as many fights allow for; in Dragon Soul, this typically puts statistical Lifebloom uptime at 70-90%). This is for mana regen, clearcasting procs, and obviously exceptional throughput. This should always be on a tank (not sure what Poly above is referring to with a tank being out of range as no fight in Dragon Soul results in a tank being out of range of healers).

2) Harmony (mastery) uptime: Moderately low. Harmony should generally have >80% uptime (see above regarding healing time). Statistically, anywhere from 70-90% is expected. Being mastery, it boosts all HoTs so is crucial.

From Lifebloom and Harmony uptime alone, this Druid is not playing at Heroic level.

3) Tree of Life: Not using it. Any healer of any class that doesn't use their CD's to their maximum is not performing.

4) Tranquility: Not using it. CD's should be used. Tranquility can do upwards of 400k healing in 10 seconds, it is ridiculous and makes all the difference in keeping the raid alive in 10m.

5) Swiftmend: Generally low usage. Should use it more. Swiftmend can be planned usage if the strategy is mapped out with known stacking points/times. In that sense, Swiftmend can be 'saved' if one of those times is coming up within the next 15 seconds. Otherwise, it can be used on CD on the tank to add healing there. This will directly increase Efflorescence healing.

6) Rejuvenation: While uptime isn't generally 'bad', it could be better. >90% is really what it should be at for any fight, 80% at an absolute minimum.

7) Wild Growth: EDIT: Wild Growth should on the whole be used more by this Druid. Otherwise, as to whether or not to use the glyph or not from my perspective, check this thread: http://www.plusheal.com/forum/m/1833799/viewthread/2400660-glyph-wild-growth

8) Nourish: Is this spell even on their bars?! There isn't a single Nourish use. Real shame, it is exceptional at filling downtime by spamming on a tank while not losing any mana (and in fact still gaining mana--slowly, of course, but still a net gain). This is also the spell of choice for refreshing Lifebloom on the tank if struggling with mana (ie. Nourish instead of Regrowth).

#Furor: Keep this. The mana return from 2 points in Furor is significant over the course of a fight.

#Haste: Breakpoint of 2005 is an absolute must. Can't tell from current armory as they are in PvP gear but if not at 2005 then that's a big issue. The key to this though is of course maximizing Wild Growth usage.

Overall lots of room for this Druid to improve across the board though I've seen worse. If this Druid improves on all points by a small margin each, you'd see a significant difference overall.
Officerchat.org - guild advice for guild leaders
Posted Feb 23, 12 · Last edited Mar 1, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
lument wrote:
This should always be on a tank (not sure what Poly above is referring to with a tank being out of range as no fight in Dragon Soul results in a tank being out of range of healers).

Zon'ozz is the only fight were we have this problem, our druid often has to stand in the range group that tries to be as far as possible from the boss, and the tank is on the other side, so when she has to go with our range group it's hard for her to reach the tank. Maybe we are doing something wrong there, I don't know. But really that's about the only case, and even then there are probably ways around it. Absolutely no reason not to have a very high lifebloom uptime.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Feb 23, 12
277 posts
Untagged users
I thought you might be talking about Zon'ozz. We used to have that issue as well but we've now sorted it out where the ranged group is at the minimum distance for the ball being explodable. Alternately, as it sometimes is still a slight issue, I will simply step forward after the ball has exploded on ranged (ie. follow the ball) just to refresh Lifebloom, then move back to the ranged group. As a Druid can continue casting HoTs while moving (or hit Swiftmend), there's no real healing loss.
Officerchat.org - guild advice for guild leaders
Posted Feb 23, 12
427 posts
Untagged users
Ah running in a step or 2 to refresh lifebloom is a good idea, and definitely the druid's the best for healing on the move. I think the reason we were going for max distance was to reduce the time between black phases, but I'm not sure now that bouncing the ball a second too soon would make that much difference.
Heal Notes Blog
Posted Feb 23, 12
177 posts
Untagged users
When I'm healing Zon'ozz on my druid, I have to make a tradeoff.
Either I stay in the ranged group and have maw of the dragonlord heal more, while not being able to keep lifebloom on the tank or I stand in melee and have less people hit by cleansing flames.
I'm fine with either situation though.
When I stay in ranged, I keep lifebloom active on myself, so the mana regen is active.
Posted Feb 24, 12
15 posts
Untagged users
Others have touched the relevant points about the druid healing in question, I'd just like to bring up a little point about raid leading. In this case, we have a healer that is underperforming, and causing deaths and subsequent wipes. Not at any point is it possible to spec either of the 4 healers so absolutely wrong than being told to respec will ever solve such a problem. Especially not now that we're forced to invest 31 points into the tree before we're allowed to go outside to make wild and outrageous decisions. I'm also going to argue that it is not possible to invest so much into the wrong stat that it'll regularly cause deaths and wipes from these decisions alone.

When someone in a raid causes deaths and wipes (either due to low healing, bad tanking decisions or low damage output), the chance the root cause is a bad spec decision or wrong stat choices is very low. Stats can likely help, tanks and dps more so than healers, but they too benefit alot from the right stats.

In my career as a raid leader I've seen some things (this is where I tell stories of the war and how we had to make bread dough from bark off the trees), and usually these are the Big Bads:
* Tanks: using damage cooldowns too seldom, saving for The Big Hit, and then activating after the damage has landed anyway.
* DPS: wrong priority queues, not spamming their buttons enough, low awareness (resulting in low dps because being aware takes alot of mental focus)
* Healers: not spamming their buttons enough, not using properly configured raid frames, being careful about mana

For all three roles the biggest and baddest is simply low awareness, resulting in lowered performance each time an encounter demands awareness because of a life threatening mechanic.

This rant simply to advice you that next time something is off with someones playstyle, be it low/dangerous healing, bad tanking or underperformance dealing damage, helping someone to respec and reforge will most likely do absolutely nothing to rectify the situation.
Posted Feb 25, 12
177 posts
Untagged users
Hmm, as I agree that it's always the player that could probably do better, a decent spec/reforge will help you do more hps/
Maybe that more hps doesn't solve the wiping, but it is important enough to underline the significance of the 2005 haste beak point and the benefit of some talents over others.
As we can't change the person performing bad and can only advise on the technical things, that is what we do and that is what seems to be appreciated by most.
Posted Feb 27, 12
30 posts
Untagged users
Nobody's mentioned UI, so I shall ;-)

It's unlikely your druid - or anyone else - is making bad decisions consciously, so perhaps there is a problem (for them) with accessing and processing the information they need - which can be their UI. The standard Blizzard UI is, of course, pants. I'll tank or DPS using it, but heal, uh-uh, ask some masochist. Or the problem can be at the other end of the spectrum -- too many gadgets and add-ons making a UI that is sluggish and confusing.

Given the consensus that not using CDs is a big part of the problem, find someone that is good with UI customisation and/or add-ons to help your druid create a nice, simple streamlined interface. What worked for me, when I wasn't getting mileage from my CDs, was just a box, with an icon in it for each ability I had classified as 'use on CD'. Empty box == good. Even I could cope with that. This also helps a lot with the 'always be casting something' thing.
Posted Feb 27, 12
Page
of 2
Announcement of